Wayleave Agreements

A wayleave agreement is a contract signed between a landowner and a utilities company which allows the company to install and/or maintain their apparatus such as pipes, cables or power lines, either above or below the land.

If I Agree To Enter Into A Wayleave Agreement Will I Receive Compensation?

Yes, you will normally receive an annual payment each year for granting the right to install and maintain equipment on your land.

Can I Terminate A Wayleave Agreement?

There will be a termination clause in the agreement setting out the procedure and notice period required if you wish to end the agreement.

Are Utility Companies Obliged To Take Care Of My Land

Absolutely.  An important element of a wayleave agreement is the reinstatement provisions which require the company to reinstate the land back to the same condition that it was before they commenced work on it.  You need to agree on issues such as soil structure, contamination and drainage.

Why Contact Us

Our lawyers have many years’ experience working within the agricultural and rural property sector.  We can help you negotiate a wayleave agreement, ensuring that your interests are taken care of. We can also assist you in the event of any dispute arising between you and the utility company.

If you would like to talk to us further please phone us on 01444 235 232 or fill in this contact form and we will be in touch shortly.