We understand that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your Personal Data is collected, processed and shared by our Firm. We take our obligations to protect your Personal Data seriously and we will only collect, process and share your Personal Data in accordance with the principles of Data Protection Legislation, to complete your legal work properly and to comply with our professional, regulatory and legal obligations.
We are transparent about how we use your Personal Data and in accordance with our transparency policy, we have prepared this privacy notice for you to read carefully to ensure you understand it and we ask that you please sign and return one copy of it to confirm that you have read it, have understood it and consent to your Personal Data being processed by our Firm.
2. What are your Rights?
Under the General Data Protection Regulations, you have the following rights:
- The right to be informed about our collection and use of personal data;
- The right to access to your Personal Data;
- The right for any incorrect Personal Data to be corrected;
- The right for your Personal Data to be removed completely (the right to anonymity);
- The right to prevent the processing of your Personal Data;
- The right to see what Personal Data we hold on you;
- The right to prevent us using your Personal Data for particular purposes.
3. Whom do you refer, to enforce your Rights and make Complaints?
Our Data Protection Officer is James Leighton who may be contacted by post at Bennett Oakley Solicitors of 13 Mill Road Burgess Hill West Sussex RH15 8DN or by email : email@example.com or by telephone on (01444) 235232.
Any complaints as to how we use your Personal Data should be referred to the Data Protection Officer in the first instance. If he is unable to solve the problem for you then you also have the right to refer the matter to the UK Supervisory Authority which is the Information Commissioner’s Office.
4. What is Personal Data?
The Categories of Personal Data we collect from you will differ from transaction to transaction and will be dependent upon the type of legal work you have asked us to carry out for you. This means that we will not collect any categories of Personal Data shown below which are irrelevant to your legal work : We only collect Data from you (and/or your agents) which is necessary. Categories of Personal Data we may collect from you are as follows:
- Your name;
- Date of Birth;
- Your full postal address to include postcode;
- Your contact details such as email, telephone number, website addresses;
- Details of any properties that you are buying or selling;
- Data to comply with Money Laundering Regulations:
- Driving Licence Number;
- Passport Number;
- Financial information:
- Bank Details such as account numbers, sort codes and names on those accounts;
- Mortgage Account Numbers;
- Details of Income, Capital, Expenditure and Outgoings;
- IT information:
- Mac/IP Addresses;
- Email Addresses;
- Mobile Device IDs.
4. What is the purposes for which my Personal Data is stored and processed?
We store and use your Personal Data to comply with our obligations to complete your legal work properly and to comply with our obligations as to anti-money laundering regulations and all other regulatory and legal obligations placed upon us. Such Personal Data is never stored for longer than is necessary and will be stored lawfully because it is necessary for us to comply with our obligations and/or because you have given us your consent to store and process your Personal Data. You may withdraw your consent at any time – please see 2vii) above.
In addition we may (but only with your permission) use your Personal Data for marketing purposes which may include contacting you via email, telephone, text, post, social media with information and news on changes in legislation and offers for legal services. This will involve sharing your information with other departments at this firm.
We do not send you any unsolicited marketing or spam and if you have supplied your consent for us to contact you with information and offers we remind you that you may opt out of receiving such marketing at any time by contacting us.
5. Who is my Personal Data shared with?
This will differ from transaction to transaction and will be dependent upon the type of legal work you have asked us to carry out for you. We may need to share your information because it is necessary to comply with our duties to complete your legal work properly and to comply with our professional regulatory obligations. Your Personal Data may be shared as follows:
- Other departments within Bennett Oakley Solicitors;
- AML Search Providers (Conveyancing);
- Search Providers (Conveyancing Transactions);
- HMRC (for Tax Matters to include Stamp Duty Land Tax);
- The Land Registry;
- The Probate Registry;
- Case Management/Account Management providers;
- Help to Buy Portals;
- Third party translators, if necessary.
We do not share your Personal Data with third parties such as Financial Advisors, Mortgage Brokers, Equity Release Specialists and Accountants unless you have authorised us to do so and you have consented to us referring such advisors to you to help you with any ongoing tax and financial planning matters.
How long is your Personal Data Stored?
We only hold your Personal Data for as long as it necessary. Under Statute there are certain periods (“Statutory Periods”) that ensure that we must retain your legal file of papers for a minimum fixed period. These Statutory Periods are six (6) years for conveyancing matters and twelve (12) years for Estate Administration matters. Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney matters may be stored for longer periods of time due to it being necessary for such files and legal documents to be stored for people living for a longer period than the Statutory Periods mentioned above.
Where is my Personal Data Stored?
We store your Personal Data securely both in paper files and also electronically within the UK and such Personal Data is not held in any other countries.
I/We acknowledge receipt of this Privacy Notice and I/we confirm I/we have read, understood and consent to our personal data being processed as laid out in this notice.